Thursday, January 6, 2011

I am NOT impressed

New Year's Eve brought with it our new tradition of hanging out at the neighbor's house watching Dick Clark slowly deteriorate in front of our eyes while enjoying adult beverages.  If this is any indication of what 2011 is going to bring, I am not impressed.  Let me explain.

First of all, our neighbors are a  couple who adopted a baby (at 2 days old) who is just 2 weeks older than Baby E.  As an aside:  when we first moved in we did some major remodeling and Big J (my hubby) was dragging large overfilled black trash bags out to his car in order to take them to the city landfill.  I was not home at the time and the neighbors thought that the new guy (Big J) had killed his wife and stuffed her into some trash bags.   I found this out 3 days later when I went to drop off some home-made applesauce and introduce myself.  Instant friends.

SO:  Last year they invited us to their house for NYE; it was just us and them and the two babies.  Babies went to bed early and we partied into the wee hours.
The Boys finishing up their New Year's Eve dinner


I thought for certain that this year would be much the same.  Alas, it was not.  The "babies" didn't want to go to sleep - they thought it was so great to have a roommate for the night and talked and giggled and talked (in 18 month old babble, that is).  After finally getting them down, I started to enjoy my glass of champagne. Then another. Then a third.  But then I stopped.  I was TOO TIRED to stay awake any longer.  I was in shock to learn that it was only 10:30.  I'm usually the last one out.  But here I was, falling asleep on the couch.  Do you see why this could be trouble?  Well, for one thing, I get a lot done at night while everyone else is sleeping.  Secondly, If 10:30 feels late NOW imagine what it will feel like when I've only had 4 hours of sleep the night before (like when Baby E and Big J are BOTH SICK at the SAME TIME). and Finally, how the hell am I going to keep my reputation as "life of the party" when I'm sleeping at 10:30?

We'll see how 2011 pans out, I guess!


This was written in response to Mama Kat's writer's workshop prompt:
2.) If the way you spent your New Year's Eve is any indication of how the rest of the year will go, how would you say your future is looking right about now?

10 comments:

  1. don't feel too bad! My husband had to work so I spent it alone on my couch, drinking bad champagne out of a cup (not even a glass) while trying to get through Eat Pray Love without falling asleep (I ended up turning it off). I kissed my cat at 11:00 and that was my New Year's kiss. I turned out the light and went to sleep...BORING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too funny, i know what you mean about formally being the life of the party and now being tired way to early!
    i tried to email you back in response to the bubble toy, but your reply was a no-reply email...
    set up your email girl!!!!!!!!!
    the bubble toy works wherever you just have to be able to suction it to something...
    we will be putting it on the window and playing on our porch!!!!
    SO FUN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, Mins- You will always be the life at our party...right after your brother, MamasBoy, that is...I think he was in bed before you on NYEve! You need to get the NoReply thingy fixed on your blog...it is MOST annoying when I can't email you by the normal reply means...thanks...love you- MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give it up sister! I used to bartend in college. After meeting my now husband my bedtime has slowly creeped closer and closer to 10 pm. I've learned to get what I can get done after my daughter goes to bed and live with it.

    But will be investing in a dictation program AND headset once baby #2 comes.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always tired early. Can't get excited about staying up late anymore. :) Here's to a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, being the life of the party is overrated anyway! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, life of the party is overrated.

    That story about your neighbors thinking your husband killed you and stuffed you in trash bags? Hilarious and priceless! I want a story like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. That stinks. Though, Hubs is usually in bed by 10pm on New Years. Every year! More chick flicks for me, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They assumed your husband killed you and were disposing of your body?

    Those are my kind of people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your NYE is better than mine, but I am not complaining.
    I had great time visiting you blog. until next time.

    ReplyDelete